Throughout this year, we’re running a photography competition every month, gifting local photographers prizes from Portsmouth and Southsea businesses as a way of saying thank-you for the passion they have in capturing the beauty of our city.
We start each month by picking a theme to inspire photographers to get out and shoot, and close every month by selecting a winning picture. January’s theme was ‘Fresh Starts’ and February’s was ‘In Pairs’.
The four of us in the Team Locals office — Charley, Jeeves, Lauren, and Lulu — will judge entries against a number of metrics, including aesthetics (breathtaking visual beauty), storytelling (context of and meaning behind photos), technicalities (photographic methods, e.g. long exposure), and the unique portrayal of each month’s theme.
Photographers have complete creative freedom on how pictures are taken: DSLR, film, pinhole, smartphone, compact, Polaroid/Instax scans etc. are all permitted.
We don’t just want to celebrate local photographers — we also want to celebrate local businesses. So we’re curating Portsmouth- and Southsea-centric prize bundles each month. March’s prizes are remarkable:
- A class pass for Portsmouth Yoga
- A £10.00 voucher for food and drink at Delaney’s Sandwich Bar in Castle Road
The theme for March 2017
Portsmouth is renowned for its fascinating history, and is quickly becoming recognised for its cultural growth and modern urbanisation. That’s why, wherever you walk in the city, you see clashes of past and present. It’s attention-grabbing, how many layers you can often see from any one point on our island.
So, ‘Old & New’ is our theme for March!
You have complete creative freedom in how you capture the Portsmouth of the past paired with the Portsmouth of the now, from buildings from one age rising above those of another, hints of history hidden in the bustling modern cityscape, or even different generations of people through a more portraiture-focused approach.
We don’t wanna throw down too many ideas — we’re more excited about how you take on the competition! — but maybe consider not just the era of the subject you’re capturing, but the age of the equipment and processes you’re using to capture it.
There are only three rules for our monthly photography competitions:
- Photos must be new, taken within each month, not submitted from archives — this makes it fairer and more fun for all participants!
- Photos must be taken in Portsmouth and Southsea — whether you’re down on Southsea Beach or up on Portsdown Hill, just as long as it’s in the PO postcode
- Photos must be submitted at a nice resolution, preferably — 1080px along the shortest edge is a good baseline, as anything below that may sacrifice photographic quality
You’re welcome to edit photos how you wish. Post-processed double exposures? Sure! Full-blown image manipulations? Sure thing! Go nuts.
There are three ways to submit photos:
- Directly: you can email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or message them to us on social media if you don’t mind the risks of photos being compressed in transit
- Indirectly: you can tag us in your photos on Instagram and Twitter — our handle on both is @teamlocals
- Use the hashtag #TLInPairs on Instagram/Twitter
We can’t give prizes to everyone unfortunately, but we plan to give every participant the attention and endorsement they deserve with end-of-month gallery posts on this site and across social media, promoting the photographers’ portfolios.
And that’s it! Team Locals’ third monthly photography competition is officially underway. Happy snapping!