Throughout this year, we’re running a photography competition every month, gifting local photographers prizes from Portsmouth and Southsea businesses as a way of saying thank-you for the passion they have in capturing the beauty of our city.
We start each month by picking a theme to inspire photographers to get out and shoot, and close every month by selecting a winning picture. January’s theme was ‘Fresh Starts’ and February’s was ‘In Pairs’.
The four of us in the Team Locals office — Charley, Jeeves, Lauren, and Lulu — will judge entries against a number of metrics, including aesthetics (breathtaking visual beauty), storytelling (context of and meaning behind photos), technicalities (photographic methods, e.g. long exposure), and the unique portrayal of each month’s theme.
Photographers have complete creative freedom on how pictures are taken: DSLR, film, pinhole, smartphone, compact, Polaroid/Instax scans etc. are all permitted.
We don’t just want to celebrate local photographers — we also want to celebrate local businesses. So we’re curating Portsmouth- and Southsea-centric prize bundles each month. March’s prizes are remarkable:
- Two tickets for the last Pompey home game of the season, against Cheltenham on Saturday 6th May.
- Two class passes for Portsmouth Yoga on Albert Road.
Two tickets to see David Bowie tribute Live on Mars at Portsmouth Guildhall on Wednesday 31st May.
“A bold new stage production celebrating iconic pop hero David Bowie; his music, artistry, style and showmanship.
“Live On Mars fuses sound and vision to portray the essence of Bowie, his alter-egos and creative muses, with elements of mime and stunning big-screen visuals.”
The theme for April 2017: Colour
Spring is here, and the sun has arrived, making everything in Portsmouth look beautifully bright. For April, we’re taking things back to basics: the theme is ‘Colour’. We want you to get out in the benevolent rays and capture vibrant spectrums of colour!
Find colourful spots across the city and fill the frame with them. Snap splashes of colour at abstract angles — we want the end-of-month gallery to really burst out of the screen!
There are only three rules for our monthly photography competitions:
- Photos must be new, taken within each month, not submitted from archives — this makes it fairer and more fun for all participants!
- Photos must be taken in Portsmouth and Southsea — whether you’re down on Southsea Beach or up on Portsdown Hill, just as long as it’s in the PO postcode
- Photos must be submitted at a nice resolution, preferably — 1080px along the shortest edge is a good baseline, as anything below that may sacrifice photographic quality
You’re welcome to edit photos how you wish. Post-processed double exposures? Sure! Full-blown image manipulations? Sure thing! Go nuts.
There are three ways to submit photos:
- Directly: you can email your photos to email@example.com, or message them to us on social media if you don’t mind the risks of photos being compressed in transit
- Indirectly: you can tag us in your photos on Instagram and Twitter — our handle on both is @teamlocals
- Use the hashtag #TLInPairs on Instagram/Twitter
We can’t give prizes to everyone unfortunately, but we plan to give every participant the attention and endorsement they deserve with end-of-month gallery posts on this site and across social media, promoting the photographers’ portfolios.
And that’s it! Team Locals’ fourth monthly photography competition is officially underway. Happy snapping!