For our third monthly photography competition of the year, we encouraged people to get out and capture both the history and the modern urbanization of Portsmouth in single compositions, and 51 of you did just that. The prizes for March were:
- Two tickets to see Pompey Football Club play a home game at Fratton Park, courtesy of Pompey in the Community
- Two tickets to Spinnaker Comedy Club’s Comedy Gong Show at the Spinnaker Tower on April 22nd
- Two tickets to see stand-up comedian Chris Ramsey at Portsmouth Guildhall on April 13th
- A tour of Southsea Brewing Co. at Southsea Castle, and an opportunity to taste some of their delectable beers
- A class pass for Portsmouth Yoga
- A £10.00 voucher for food and drink at Delaney’s Sandwich Bar in Castle Road
As usual, before we get to the winner and runners-up, here’s a selection of the other photos submitted to the competition this month. We’re always impressed by the way Portsmouth’s photographers make our themes their own.
The Top Picks
In third place: Ian Pears
From Old Portsmouth, looking across to Gunwharf Quays and the Spinnaker Tower — a composition tied together by the strong nautical anchor imagery on the streetlight. Ian Pears captured a beautiful photo from Spice Island for our ‘Old & New’ competition, a worthy contender for the third-place spot.
Scroll on for second place »
In second place: David Hyde
Another awesome composition featuring the Spinnaker Tower, plus ageing vibes by way of the crane in Gunwharf Quays. David Hyde’s black and white shot was a firm favourite while we were whittling down to March’s winner.
Scroll on for our March winner »
In first place, March’s winner: Louise Stratton
From the Spinnaker Tower and the lilac sunset skies to the worn-down harbourisde boats and strong silhouetting contrast between highlights and shadows, this picture by Louise Stratton is eye-catching, intriguing, and beautiful. That’s why we chose it as our ‘Old & New’ winner, so a massive congratulations to Louise!