Throughout this year, we’re running a photography competition every month, gifting local photographers prizes from Portsmouth and Southsea businesses as a way of saying thank-you for the passion they have in capturing the beauty of our city.
For May, we’re teaming up with the Isle of Wight Festival to give away two standard weekend adult camping tickets, from Thursday 8th to Sunday 11th June!
We start each month by picking a theme to inspire photographers to get out and shoot, and close every month by selecting a winning picture. January’s theme was ‘Fresh Starts’ and February’s was ‘In Pairs’. March was ‘Old & New’, and April was all about colour.
The four of us in the Team Locals office — Charley, Jeeves, Lauren, and Lulu — will judge entries against a number of metrics, including aesthetics (breathtaking visual beauty), storytelling (context of and meaning behind photos), technicalities (photographic methods, e.g. long exposure), and the unique portrayal of each month’s theme.
Photographers have complete creative freedom on how pictures are taken: DSLR, film, pinhole, smartphone, compact, Polaroid/Instax scans etc. are all permitted.
The theme: Lowdown
It’s time to get low! This month, we want you to capture photos from as low a vantage point as possible, with interesting compositions built from the ground up, or with eye-catching lead-in lines.
There are only three rules for our monthly photography competitions:
- Photos must be new, taken within each month, not submitted from archives — this makes it fairer and more fun for all participants!
- Photos must be taken in Portsmouth and Southsea — whether you’re down on Southsea Beach or up on Portsdown Hill, just as long as it’s in the PO postcode
- Photos must be submitted at a nice resolution, preferably — 1080px along the shortest edge is a good baseline, as anything below that may sacrifice photographic quality
You’re welcome to edit photos how you wish. Post-processed double exposures? Sure! Full-blown image manipulations? Sure thing! Go nuts.
There are three ways to submit photos:
- Directly: you can email your photos to email@example.com, or message them to us on social media if you don’t mind the risks of photos being compressed in transit
- Indirectly: you can tag us in your photos on Instagram and Twitter — our handle on both is @teamlocals
- Use the hashtag #TLInPairs on Instagram/Twitter
We can’t give prizes to everyone unfortunately, but we plan to give every participant the attention and endorsement they deserve with end-of-month gallery posts on this site and across social media, promoting the photographers’ portfolios.
DEADLINE: LAST DAY OF MAY
Prize Terms & Conditions
- The prize package consists of two standard weekend adult camping tickets to the Isle of Wight Festival 2017 (Thursday 8th — Sunday 11th June 2017)
- You must be eighteen or over to enter
- The prize does not include travel for the winner or their guest
- The tickets are issued subject to the Isle of Wight Festival’s standard T&Cs
- The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable, and non-negotiable
- There is no cash alternative
- For more information, visit isleofwightfestival.com
And that’s it! Team Locals’ fifth monthly photography competition is officially underway. Happy snapping!