Throughout this year, we’re running a photography competition every month, gifting local photographers prizes from Portsmouth and Southsea businesses as a way of saying thank-you for the passion they have in capturing the beauty of our city.
We start each month by picking a theme to inspire photographers to get out and shoot, and close every month by selecting a winning picture. January’s theme was Fresh Starts — see some of the submissions and the overall winner here.
The four of us in the Team Locals office — Charley, Jeeves, Lauren, and Lulu — will judge entries against a number of metrics, including aesthetics (breathtaking visual beauty), storytelling (context of and meaning behind photos), technicalities (photographic methods, e.g. long exposure), and the unique portrayal of each month’s theme.
Photographers have complete creative freedom on how pictures are taken: DSLR, film, pinhole, smartphone, compact, Polaroid/Instax scans etc. are all permitted.
We don’t just want to celebrate local photographers — we also want to celebrate local businesses. So we’re curating Portsmouth- and Southsea-centric prize bundles each month, starting with the following in February:
The theme for February 2017
At the heart of February is a celebration of love: Valentine’s Day. But don’t worry, we’re not expecting you to crack out the long lenses and snap couples and their Public Displays of Affection — that’d be a little weird.
Instead, we’ve chosen a broader theme of togetherness: ‘In Pairs’!
You have complete creative freedom. You can be as literal or as abstract as you wish with your portrayal of the theme, from things captured in twos through to your own depictions and ideas of togetherness, love, connections, bonds, and so on.
There are only three rules for our monthly photography competitions:
- Photos must be new, taken within each month, not submitted from archives — this makes it fairer and more fun for all participants!
- Photos must be taken in Portsmouth and Southsea — whether you’re down on Southsea Beach or up on Portsdown Hill, just as long as it’s in the PO postcode
- Photos must be submitted at a nice resolution, preferably — 1080px along the shortest edge is a good baseline, as anything below that may sacrifice photographic quality
There are three ways to submit photos:
- Directly: you can email your photos to email@example.com, or message them to us on social media if you don’t mind the risks of photos being compressed in transit
- Indirectly: you can tag us in your photos on Instagram and Twitter — our handle on both is @teamlocals
- Use the hashtag #TLInPairs on Instagram/Twitter
We can’t give prizes to everyone unfortunately, but we plan to give every participant the attention and endorsement they deserve with end-of-month gallery posts on this site and across social media, promoting the photographers’ portfolios.
And that’s it! Team Locals’ second monthly photography competition is officially underway. Happy snapping!
Check out January's 'Fresh Starts' winners for some inspiration here.